Friday, May 13, 2011

Presentation

Mid Review Presentation

9 comments:

The Geothermal Force said...

You have definitely tackled a very difficult topic, and I think you have made an interesting exhibit that would draw people towards it in response to that. As already stated by some of the reviewers, the exhibit on the site as it is now seems out of place. It would be great if there was some visual connection to the ocean.

Alison c: said...

Another point from our team is how does it connect to power or energy? Do the waves power up a light or anything? It is a fantastic idea on how to display wave energy, the idea of a see saw would be so much fun, I might have to hop on it.

Jlajoie said...

The design you camp up with is awesome, however I have a little concern with people thinking that the contraption is not meant to be touched/played with. It may look to technical so you will definitely have to play up the graphics. Other then that I think it is fabulous! Here are some of the professionals comments in case you didn't get to write them down: It looks a little disconnected to the space, maybe put ducky footprints on the sidewalk. Maybe better suited for a location that visitors can actually see waves. Will is be too heavy for kids to push (8lbs may be a lot), possibly have it connected to a teeter totter.
keep up the great work guys! your project is extremely technically strong you just need to make sure you have an attention grabber and maybe a game element to it :)

Jessica said...

I think the design of the exhibit is great at taking a topic that could be complex and making it simple to understand for those who aren't familiar with the technology of potential of wave energy. The connection between the exhibit itself and its setting seems a little disconnected, but could be resolved with the use of graphic elements.

Paul Rogers said...

I echo some of the other comments, I think that the idea is great, but there is disconnect between the exhibit and its surroundings and audience. Making the shape of the top into a wave, or perhaps adding a surf theme would make the exhibit more appealing and relatable. A site closer to the ocean would be great too...Pismo or Grover?

H2_gustavo said...

I love your project! I feel your team is doing a great job of taking on a difficult and lesser known renewable energy source. I can tell your team has put a lot of detail into the project especially in the technical aspect. This also may be a problem. I can understand your overall design but it may be too technical for others, especially children which may make them not get near it. I like the idea of your water source being the shape of a water tank, but from what it looks like it may be a bit too heavy and bulky. Another comment is that your project looks like it can fit on any wall. It really does not engage the environment which may make the project less memorable.

R-Cubed said...

The exhibit definitely could use some help to better fit in its location, but in general a great idea!

You brought up the idea of using a Van-De-Graf generator producing sparks to show the power being generated. Another possible idea is a windhurst generator. I've seen them both run by hand cranks and van de grafs take a lot of time to get charged to the point of making decent sparks relative to windhursts.

rdelgadillo5 said...

The concept and design of this project are pretty effective. I like the form developed and the ideas. One thing that might be interesting to consider is maybe having a series of these small scale exhibits scattered throughout the city. The activity involved in this exhibit seems too private, not catering to group activities. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, it might be just be what the intent of the project is, but it’s just a comment. I’m not too sure about the appropriateness of the site and the reasoning behind it, but I’m sure there were some good motives behind it. Possibly the actual wall that the exhibit sits in front of can be utilized as part of the exhibit itself.

jjipson said...

Wave Energy-Instructor Comments

Presentation: Some slides had too much text; presentation prep and involvement appeared unevenly distributed; is the team functioning well together?

Design:
- Goal of just generating interest in young kids is limited; better if exhibit has multiple entry points. This would appeal to a broader spectrum of users, also learning often involves different age groups working together.
- Specific learning goals need to be defined (e.g., e.g., that waves produce usable energy, how wave energy is captured?)
- The Van de Graaff generator doesn’t seem well suited to interactivity or engagement. Something more aesthetically appealing could connect to ocean theme.
- Generate waves in other ways? How does manipulating the tank influence wave consistency (vs. sloshing)?
- As difficult as it is, exhibit could/should relate to the local context (Chad: central coast ideal for wave energy) and immediate context (library: good location, but feels disconnected; surf shop?)
- Look into Lompoc, PG&E and other local wave projects

Positive Elements
o This exhibit’s strength is its simplicity and directness. You don’t try to tackle too large of an issue/concept.
o Great topic and very relevant; now you just have to find a way to communicate it best.

Post a Comment